Vegan loaded potato soup is a comforting and delicious meal that is perfect for those chilly days or when you are in need of some wholesome comfort food. This dairy-free and plant-based soup recipe is not only packed with flavor but also provides a healthy and nutritious alternative to traditional loaded potato soup.
See more of our recipes here!
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plant-based milk (such as almond, cashew, or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (see recipe below) or vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: vegan bacon bits, vegan cheese shreds, chopped green onions, and/or fresh parsley
Cashew Cream Recipe
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours or overnight
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews, water, lemon juice, and salt.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, adjusting the consistency by adding more water if needed. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Vegan Loaded Potato Soup Instructions
- In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in a little bit of vegetable broth or water until they are softened and fragrant.
- Add the diced potatoes and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup, leaving some potato chunks for texture. Alternatively, you can transfer about half of the soup to a blender, puree until smooth, and then return it to the pot.
- Stir in the plant-based milk, cashew cream, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Serve the soup hot, topped with vegan bacon bits, vegan cheese shreds, chopped green onions, and/or fresh parsley.
Tips and Variations for Vegan Loaded Potato Soup
1. Customize your toppings
Feel free to get creative with your toppings to make your vegan loaded potato soup even more delicious. Some other ideas include roasted broccoli, sautéed mushrooms, or even avocado slices. The possibilities are endless!
2. Adjust the thickness
If you prefer a thicker soup, you can add more cashew cream or vegan sour cream to achieve your desired consistency. Alternatively, if you want a thinner soup, simply add more vegetable broth or plant-based milk.
3. Use different types of potatoes
While Russet potatoes are the most commonly used type of potato for loaded potato soup, you can also experiment with other types of potatoes, such as Yukon Gold or red potatoes. Keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the type of potato used.
4. Add some heat
If you enjoy a little kick in your soup, try adding some cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce to taste.
5. Include more vegetables
To pack even more nutrition into your vegan loaded potato soup, try adding other vegetables like carrots, celery, or bell peppers. You can sauté them with the onions and garlic at the beginning of the recipe.
Vegan Loaded Potato Soup Recipe Variations
While the basic vegan loaded potato soup recipe is delicious on its own, you can experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique version. Here are some suggestions for alternative ingredients and additions:
Sweet Potato Loaded Soup
For a twist on the classic vegan loaded potato soup, try using sweet potatoes instead of Russet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants and can add a hint of natural sweetness to your soup.
Smoky Vegan Loaded Potato Soup
Add a smoky flavor to your vegan loaded potato soup by using smoked paprika or liquid smoke in the recipe. You can also try adding smoked tofu or tempeh as a topping to enhance the smoky flavor.
Vegan Loaded Potato Chowder
Transform your vegan loaded potato soup into a hearty chowder by adding some corn and diced carrots to the mix. You can also experiment with different plant-based milk options, such as almond milk or oat milk, to achieve your desired creaminess.
Spicy Vegan Loaded Potato Soup
If you prefer your soup with a kick, add some jalapeno peppers, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or your favorite hot sauce to the recipe. You can also top your soup with some spicy vegan chorizo crumbles or red pepper flakes for added heat.
Vegan Loaded Potato Soup with Greens
Boost the nutritional value of your vegan loaded potato soup by adding leafy greens like kale, spinach, or collard greens. These greens are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and they can add a pop of color and texture to your soup.
Tips for Making the Perfect Vegan Loaded Potato Soup
To ensure your vegan loaded potato soup turns out perfect every time, follow these helpful tips:
- Choose the right potatoes: Russet potatoes are ideal for this soup due to their high starch content, which contributes to the soup’s creaminess. However, you can also use other starchy potatoes like Yukon Gold if you prefer.
- Soak the cashews: If using cashew cream, make sure to soak the cashews for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to ensure a smooth and creamy texture. If you’re short on time, you can also try soaking them in hot water for about 30 minutes to speed up the process.
- Adjust the consistency: If you prefer a thicker soup, you can use an immersion blender to partially blend the soup, leaving some potato chunks for texture. Alternatively, you can mash some of the potatoes with a fork or potato masher. If the soup is too thick, simply add more vegetable broth or plant-based milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning: Don’t forget to taste the soup as you cook and adjust the seasoning as needed. You might need to add more salt, pepper, garlic powder, or onion powder to suit your taste preferences.
- Get creative with toppings: The beauty of vegan loaded potato soup is that you can customize the toppings to your liking. Some popular options include vegan bacon bits, vegan cheese shreds, chopped green onions, fresh herbs, and a dollop of dairy-free sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I make this soup ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make vegan loaded potato soup ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, simply reheat the soup on the stovetop over low heat, stirring occasionally until heated through.
Q: Can I freeze vegan loaded potato soup?
A: Vegan loaded potato soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to let the soup cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. To reheat, let the soup thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat on the stovetop over low heat.
Q: Is vegan loaded potato soup gluten-free?
A: Yes, this vegan loaded potato soup recipe is naturally gluten-free. However, if you have a severe gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, always double-check the labels of your ingredients to ensure they are certified gluten-free.
Q: Can I use store-bought vegan sour cream instead of cashew cream?
A: Yes, you can substitute store-bought vegan sour cream for the cashew cream in this recipe. Just keep in mind that the flavor and texture may be slightly different, so adjust the seasonings as needed.
With these tips, variations, and answers to frequently asked questions, you can confidently make and enjoy a delicious and satisfying vegan loaded potato soup that meets your personal preferences and dietary needs. This comforting and hearty plant-based meal is sure to become a favorite in your vegan recipe repertoire.
The Nutritional Benefits of Vegan Loaded Potato Soup
Vegan loaded potato soup is not only a delicious comfort food but also a nutritious and wholesome meal that provides a variety of health benefits. Here are some key nutrients and their benefits in this plant-based soup:
Potatoes are a rich source of potassium, an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in maintaining proper fluid balance, nerve function, and muscle contractions. Eating potassium-rich foods like potatoes can help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Potatoes are also an excellent source of vitamin C, which is vital for maintaining healthy skin, bones, and teeth. Vitamin C also supports a strong immune system and aids in the absorption of iron from plant-based sources.
Plant-based protein sources like cashew cream and nutritional yeast are included in this vegan loaded potato soup, providing essential amino acids necessary for maintaining and repairing body tissues, building muscle mass, and supporting a healthy immune system.
The addition of vegetables, such as potatoes, onions, and garlic, to this vegan loaded potato soup provides dietary fiber, which is essential for maintaining healthy digestion, stabilizing blood sugar levels, and promoting a feeling of fullness.
Vegan Loaded Potato Soup Pairings
Vegan loaded potato soup can be served as a main course or as a starter. To create a well-rounded and satisfying meal, try pairing this soup with some of the following dishes:
A light and refreshing salad is the perfect complement to the rich and creamy vegan loaded potato soup. You can create a simple green salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a tangy vinaigrette, or you can try more elaborate recipes like a vegan Caesar salad, a Mediterranean quinoa salad, or a kale and avocado salad.
A delicious vegan sandwich or wrap can be a great addition to your meal. Some popular vegan sandwich options include a tempeh BLT, a roasted vegetable panini with vegan pesto, or a chickpea salad sandwich. Alternatively, you can create a wrap using hummus, grilled vegetables, and fresh herbs.
Vegan Flatbread or Pizza
Pair your vegan loaded potato soup with a tasty vegan flatbread or pizza for a satisfying and comforting meal. Some popular vegan flatbread toppings include caramelized onions, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes, while vegan pizza options can range from a classic margherita to a veggie-loaded pie with vegan cheese.
Vegan loaded potato soup is an easy and delicious plant-based soup recipe that is perfect for those who crave the creaminess and heartiness of a traditional loaded potato soup. With its dairy-free and nutritious ingredients, this vegan soup is not only flavorful but also provides a healthy alternative to a classic comfort food dish. Enjoy a bowl of vegan loaded potato soup and experience the satisfaction of a comforting and delicious plant-based meal.
Visit our YouTube Channel for more recipes here.