Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe: A Delicious Homemade Treat
Introduction: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
Cheryls sugar cookie recipe is a family favorite that has been passed down through generations. These cookies are delicious, easy to make, and perfect for any occasion. In this article, we will share the recipe, ingredients, and step-by-step instructions for making these scrumptious treats. We will also offer some baking tips to help you achieve the perfect texture and flavor.
Get more recipes here!
Ingredients: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- Sprinkles or colored sugar, for decorating
Instructions: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. This should take about 3 minutes using an electric mixer.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract to the butter mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. If the dough is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of buttermilk at a time until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. Flatten each part into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- After the dough has chilled, lightly flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll out one of the dough discs to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes from the dough and place them onto the prepared baking sheet. If desired, decorate the cookies with sprinkles or colored sugar.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are lightly golden around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Baking Tips: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Make sure your butter is softened but not melted. This will help achieve a soft and chewy texture in your sugar cookies.
- Do not overmix the dough, as this can lead to tough cookies. Mix until the ingredients are just combined.
- Chilling the dough is an essential step, as it helps the cookies maintain their shape while baking.
- If you prefer a crispier cookie, roll the dough thinner and bake for a slightly longer time.
- Store the baked cookies in an airtight container to keep them fresh and delicious for up to a week.
Alternative Sugar Cookie Variations to Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
Cheryl’s sugar cookie recipe is versatile and can easily be adapted to include different flavors and textures. In this section, we will explore some alternative variations of the recipe, incorporating the use of various ingredients and techniques.
Lemon Sugar Cookies: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
For a zesty twist, you can add lemon zest and lemon extract to the cookie dough. Replace the almond extract with 1 teaspoon of lemon extract and add the zest of 1 lemon. This will give the cookies a fresh, citrusy flavor that is perfect for spring and summer gatherings.
Soft Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Frosting: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
To create a more indulgent treat, top your sugar cookies with a smooth buttercream frosting. Prepare a simple buttercream by beating together 1/2 cup of softened unsalted butter, 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Once the cookies have cooled completely, spread a layer of frosting onto each cookie and decorate with sprinkles, colored sugar, or edible glitter.
Buttery Sugar Cookies Recipe: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
For a richer, buttery flavor, you can increase the amount of butter used in the recipe. Replace the 1 cup of unsalted butter with 1 1/4 cups, and reduce the granulated sugar to 1 1/4 cups. This will result in a slightly denser, more buttery cookie that is perfect for those who love a rich, indulgent treat.
Vegan Sugar Cookies: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
To create a vegan version of Cheryls sugar cookie recipe, replace the butter with a vegan butter substitute, such as Earth Balance, and use a flax egg instead of a regular egg. To make a flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken. This will ensure that the recipe is suitable for those following a vegan diet.
Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
For those with gluten sensitivities or allergies, you can easily adapt Cheryls sugar cookie recipe to be gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend. Replace the all-purpose flour with an equal amount of gluten-free flour blend, such as Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur Flour. Be sure to check the packaging for any additional instructions or recommendations for baking.
Tips for Perfect Sugar Cookie Dough: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
Achieving the perfect sugar cookie dough can sometimes be a challenge. Here are some tips to help you create a smooth, easy-to-work-with dough that will yield delicious, evenly baked cookies:
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature, especially the butter and egg. This will ensure that they mix together smoothly and evenly.
- Sift the dry ingredients to remove any lumps and ensure that they are well combined. This will help create a uniform dough with a consistent texture.
- When mixing the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can cause the dough to become tough and result in cookies that are less tender.
- If the dough is too sticky, add more flour, a tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency. Be careful not to add too much flour, as this can make the cookies dry and crumbly.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour before rolling and cutting. This helps the dough firm up and makes it easier to handle. Chilled dough also helps the cookies maintain their shape during baking.
Sugar Cookie Decorating Ideas: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
One of the joys of baking sugar cookies is the opportunity to decorate them in creative and festive ways. Here are some ideas to help you take your sugar cookie decorating to the next level:
- Use a variety of cookie cutters in different shapes and sizes to create a fun assortment of cookies. You can find cookie cutters for every occasion, from holidays and birthdays to animals and sports themes.
- Experiment with different types of icing and glazes. Royal icing, made with powdered sugar, egg whites or meringue powder, and water, is ideal for creating intricate designs and decorations. A simple glaze made with powdered sugar, milk or water, and food coloring can be used for a more casual, homemade look.
- Invest in a set of decorating tools, such as piping bags, tips, and food-safe brushes. These tools will make it easier to create detailed and professional-looking decorations on your cookies.
- Add texture to your cookies by using a fork, toothpick, or the tip of a knife to create patterns and designs on the surface of the dough before baking.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with your decorations. Use edible glitter, colored sugar, sprinkles, and even small candies like chocolate chips or M&Ms to add a touch of whimsy to your cookies.
- Host a cookie decorating party for friends and family. Provide a variety of cookies, icing, and decorations, and let everyone unleash their creativity. This is a fun and interactive way to spend time together and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- If you’re feeling particularly ambitious, try creating themed sugar cookies to match the occasion. For example, you could make heart-shaped cookies for Valentine’s Day, spooky designs for Halloween, or snowflake patterns for the winter holidays.
Storing and Freezing Sugar Cookies: Cheryls Sugar Cookie Recipe
Proper storage is essential to maintaining the freshness and quality of your sugar cookies. Here are some tips for storing and freezing your cookies to ensure they remain delicious and enjoyable:
- Allow your cookies to cool completely before storing them. This will help prevent them from becoming soggy or sticking together.
- Store your cookies in an airtight container, separating layers with parchment paper or wax paper. This will help preserve their freshness and prevent them from becoming stale.
- If you plan to freeze your cookies, wrap them individually in plastic wrap before placing them in a freezer-safe container or zip-top bag. This will help protect them from freezer burn and maintain their quality.
- To thaw frozen cookies, remove them from the freezer and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. If you need to speed up the thawing process, you can place them in a preheated oven at a low temperature (around 200°F) for 5-10 minutes.
- Decorated cookies can also be stored and frozen, but be sure to allow the icing or decorations to set and harden completely before wrapping and storing them.
In conclusion, Cheryls sugar cookie recipe is a versatile and delicious option for bakers of all skill levels. By following the tips and techniques provided in this article, you can create beautiful and tasty sugar cookies that are perfect for any occasion.
Visit our Youtube Channel for more recipes!